Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Surf Magazines Don't Talk About Lapsed Catholics

A year ago, Antonio and I decided we'd make a film about surfing in New York. All shot on beautiful 16mm with long, thoughtful compositions concerning some of the more interesting and magical aspects of the process.
We contacted some subject matter, talked to some guys and then got real busy at work.
We haven't made that film yet.
We will.

A few months ago a friend of mine got real sick and I tried to imagine what it must feel like to be so sick. It got me thinking about surfing. And not surfing.
While making a film about it, Antonio looked over my shoulder and saw what I was up to and said, "hey, that looks pretty nice, do you want to use some stuff I shot?"
I looked at his footage and was blown away by how well it linked up with the original idea.

Anyhow, the end result of the collaboration has been accepted to the First Annual New York Surf Film Festival.
It's showing at the end of September at the Tribeca Theatre, immediately preceding Shaun Thompson's new film "Bustin' Down The Door," about the 'Roo/'Bok mid-70's assault on the North Shore.

Here is the link to buy tickets, if you want to see our work on the big screen.

No comments: