Tuesday, July 7, 2009



















Ok. Maybe you're having a bad day. A weird bad day that is full of little paper cuts to the morale. You go into the editing suite across the office to sit and stare at someone else's bad day. You pick up the fashion magazine from the coffee table and are reminded that you were shown this spread a week or so ago. The thoughts are conflicted. Hey the photos aren't bad. Hey, you gotta pay for that surf film somehow. Hey, surfing has been used to sell things since Gidget. Really, surfing is nothing more than an industry buzzword now anyhow. You can't fault it, but you wish you could. You can't ignore the fact that if they gave you a few hundred dollars or some free advertising and breakfast on the house, you'd be out there taking these photos or posing in these photos or whatever. And then you look down and you're typing. Typing on a blog about surfing. And you wonder why. Why the hell are you typing on a blog about surfing? Because you like it. That's why.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I like those brass knuckle necklace charms.

glider said...

toddy, i dont know what to make of that photo spread- thanks for sharing though

Mr. Lentini said...

good lord

christian said...

I actually like that photo spread. I think it's well done and wouldn't mind owning a copy of that mag.

And hell yeah. Give me some free food and I'll do damn near anything with or to a surfboard.

Watson said...

Toddy, the culture has been more abused than a presidential candidate by their opposition. In comparison, these offenses are mild. I actually like half of the images from a photography standpoint. They did avoid the typical sunny-blond-running-laughing-with-surfboard-barf shot. Plus depending on where you live - some surfers don't look like surfers at all. Will the average reader know? Or care?

Great blog mate. And cool illustrations for the Mattson2 show!

Toddy said...

Yep, it is one of those many knee-jerk reactions I have to this sort of thing that got me thinking. No different from anything else we do or are involved with, and yet I still have that initial negative reaction until, upon further reflection, I put it into a real context. Funny how that works.

Paper magazine from a few weeks ago or so. Has the girl who sung the "Milkshake" song on the cover I think. Nas' wife, I think.