Thursday, August 13, 2009






I didn't know Andy Kessler. It's one of those funny things, that is, I shook his hand a few times, was introduced a couple times, saw him around. Always seemed to be cracking a joke with a straight face. I think I tried to crack a joke too, once, but he didn't seem like he was having any of it. But it doesn't matter that I didn't know him. He was known in his own right to thousands of others, and was known well in his own right to some people I like to be around. Those people thought a great deal of him and that has made me think about communities and cultures and inspirations in a different way. I'll try and make it out to the paddle tomorrow at Ditch Plains. It would mean a great deal to me to be there and support a community and a feeling and pay homage to someone whose vital energy I've felt whether I knew it or not.
Here are some photos of the beach from Mastic from late July. That place has become meaningful to me. The idea of meeting new good people and having a place to teach my son about the ocean and a place to drink beer and BBQ with friends means a lot to me.
-toddy

4 comments:

glider said...

awesomes shots toddy- i love the loop photos- nice way to avoid scanning----- see ya soon

Johnny Pee said...

The loops. That was one fine beach day there. Kind words of Andy and kind words of Mastic. Thanks.

toddy said...

It doesn't look like the stars are aligning to get me out to Montauk today. So it goes.

Mr. Lentini said...

the paddle out for kessler was nothing short of amazing--never saw so many for a paddle out and I am quite sure I caught a wave afterward with 20 people on it