Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Funny Thing Is, I Tend To Take My Laundry In On Saturday

We don't have a washer or dryer in our apartment.  Like most New Yorkers with a "busy" schedule and an "extra" ten dollars to budget out every week, we drop the bulk of our laundry off at the the laundromat down the street.  It takes them about a day to wash everything, fold everything and gently place it back in the bag in which it were delivered.  It's a pretty great system if you hate doing laundry or you're just shitty at folding.  And while I am not adverse to sitting in a laundromat and reading a book, I am truly shitty at folding.  So I let them do it for me.  Ten bucks a week.  This is all to say that accidents happen.  I've had sweaters shrunk, trousers lost and, in the case of the photo above, tan pants turned pink.  And this, in turn, is all to say that when I got these pants back the other day, pulled them out and saw the damage, I didn't get so mad.  I mean, I've never owned pink pants.  Maybe it's time I own pink pants.  And lord knows I never would have actually purchased pink pants, so the only way I was going to get pink pants is either by someone leaving a pair at my house by accident or by the laundry screwing up the wash.  So today I am wearing pink pants.  Which is a little unnerving.  But maybe it's cool.  I don't know. As long as they fit right I guess.  This, finally, is all to say that New York boasts a pretty abnormal surf scene.  New York boasts an abnormal scene, period.  It all boils down to a million things a million people have expounded on before.  But one of those things is fashion.  You can't get away from it.  In fact, many of my friends make their living, at least incidentally, from the fashion industry.  Image making, advertising, designing, etc.  We are all tied up in it.  Besides money laundering and cheating on anything and everything, fashion is New York's big industry. So when Wifey sends me this link, like these goddamn pink pants, I take it all in stride.  It's normal, standard, necessary even.  The only bummer is that I thought Antonio was New York's hottest surfer.

Addendum Question: What the hell kind of t-shirt goes with pink pants?

No comments: