Friday, September 9, 2011

Yesterday and today, from the relative comfort of my office, I watched, or rather caught out of the corner of my ear, the happenings not a couple handful of miles to the east of me.  Not being a surf contest junky of even a mild sort, in fact having only watched two real live surf contests before this one (and both those streaming over the internet) it was interesting to see what passes as cutting edge, scorable surfing.  I saw some amazing things.  I saw some boring things.  I saw guys doing things on the wavs I usually surf that I'd never seen anyone do on the waves I usually surf. And then I saw a heap load of more boring things.  Both ways, there is a little sigh of relief that the waves cames through, at lest for a couple days.  Tee Koh Luh, doing his thing.  A moment of K. Slater doing his thing.

2 comments:

Josh Aggars (Flip Flops City Blog) said...

I think you succinctly summed up the highs and lows of watching the ASP there. Sometimes great, sometimes very dull or, as Bobby Martinez said the other day "I don’t want to be a part of this dumb f***ing wannabe tennis tour. All these pro surfers want to be tennis players." :-)

Made me laugh. There is a certain stagnent punge about the ASP at times although getting to watch it from your office, well, that's a rare privallege indeed!

Aloha
Josh

EditorialBoard said...

That Bobby M. rant is classic.