Thursday, October 17, 2013

Stop Harangue-ing Me

Do what is necessary then do what is urgent. I never went to film school, instead studying other, completely useless things in the context of my would-be future career.  Or would seemingly be, I guess. I've always thought, though, that film schools needed a whole class dedicated to the art of talking.  How to talk to a composer about music.  How to talk to an editor about editing.  How to talk to the gaffer about gaffing. I'd happily take those classes.  It would also be nice if there was a class about how to talk to someone who intimidates you without being intimidated.  Or how to buy jeans from a fancy jeans store.  That's nearly impossible.  They're always telling you how you should wear your jeans.  How you should wash them.  Or not wash them. I don't know how to talk to those people.  Or I don't know how to talk to them there, in the fancy jean store. I can sorta talk to them in the lineup, if I don't know they sell fancy jeans.  Or if they're not super intimidating.  Which brings me back to an earlier point.

2 comments:

AJ said...

I dig this post on a lotta levels.

One is the 'how' - i teach in higher ed and, I think it'll be a long time before these crazy cats I teach with will realize that the emphasis should be recalibrated so college kids are thinking about the how - rather than the what.

example: It's now - what was the New Deal?
It should be - How might we think about the New Deal? or - What does it mean to know about the New Deal?

Last point - your emphasis on language - that's it, man. It's language all the way up all the way down. Words and sentences create reality.

Thoughtful post.

tonenaez said...

bag replica high quality l32 o0x69b5l97 buy replica bags e04 l8y27l2i95 good quality replica bags b17 u6e46r8s62