Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Joaquin Pops out of the Oven Piping Hot

It's very very hard to get lasagna wrong. I think this claim can be classified a truism. If you've somehow made a slow-cooked casserole of cheese, flat pasta, tomato sauce and whatever spices and meats and vegetables you've added somehow inedible, well, you're a special sorta cook.

Last night over a plate of abnormally perfectly rendered vegetable lasagna, my wife admitted to reading this blog "every now and then." She went on to say that she really likes the way I write (!), using her peculiarly intelligent sort of vocabulary to describe my writing as "round, full, well wrought." Or something like that. In fact I think she made a few more adjectives out of geometric shape and spatial considerations as that's how she thinks. I think. But then she went just a touch further: "I really like it. It can be funny. But..." and here was the kicker, "it's always kind of a bummer. There's something about the way you say things that bums me out. Like, I dunno, after I'm done reading it, I want to push it away or something."

I could only laugh, shake my head, and laugh. She's right. There's a kind of sadness to how I practice writing and observing and commenting here. A sort of self-relegation to an unhappy hinterland. I wanted to point out that of course the name of the blog has "bummer" right there, and that the blog is just a compendium of feelings about the difficulties of maintaining a surfing life in this relatively surf starved place. How all the angst created by not having a daily discipline involving salt water and swell must find its outlet somewhere. But in the end I think what she is getting at is that there must be a dark, snarky, angry chunk of black coal in my chest that is weighing me down, spreading a diseased tar substance of dissatisfaction through my veins and and out through my fingertips, making my breath putrid and my body odor unfortunate. I think she's saying I've become a kind of dishonest crank, a scapegoat in my own internal battle of situational belligerence. I think that's what she's getting at. And dammit, she's probably right (and frankly, she's got a dog in the fight.)

So I vow to be better.

In the meantime, here is a video and a link that illustrate just how hard up New Yorkers are for real surf of a consistent kind. In each image, each frame of beauty and excitement, lurks that gross nugget of habitual dissatisfaction buried between the layers of self-congratulating hype.

New York can be a difficult and dispiriting place to live. The good times, and our maniacal celebration of them, only go to show how desperate we usually are.








And then of course, there's this...

No comments: